Re: Broken memory management on system with no swap

From: David Schultz <das_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 12:19:56 -0700
On Sun, Apr 20, 2003, Lucky Green wrote:
> David wrote quoting Bruce:
> > > So the bug is mainly in vm making only a relatively useless
> > statistic
> > > available.  On my systems, `Inact' is usually mainly for
> > (non-dirty)
> > > VMIO pages.
> >
> > Right.  dillon was planning to separate out the dirty and
> > clean pages in the inactive queue at some point.  ISTR that
> > his intent was along the lines of optimizing write clustering
> > by making dirty pages easier to find, or something along
> > those lines.  But the number of inactive dirty pages is
> > useful as a statistic by itself, too.
>
> So how do I find out what is consuming those "inactive" pages? And how
> do I determine if those pages can be discarded or not?

'top -ores' will tell you which processes are hogging the most
memory, but the system does not keep accurate statistics on clean
vs dirty or swap-backed vs fs-backed pages.  Nevertheless, that
might give you some idea of where your 1 GB of memory has gone.

> Exactly. Which is why I just replaced my old 128MB RAM/256MB swap server
> with a new 1GB RAM server. I still fail to understand why a setup that
> never was anywhere near running out of memory in the previous
> configuration would run out of memory with more RAM than it had RAM and
> swap combined. If I can't do in 1GB what I could do in 128 + 256 MB,
> then somewhere there is a bug. How do I find out where?

It would be useful to know whether dillon's suggestion fixes your
problem.