Re: gbde init -i issue

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 14:53:21 +0200
In message <20030430140915.V27116_at_daneel.foundation.hs>, Heiko Schaefer writes:

>> If it is a BSD disklabel or SUN label, change it so it starts at least
>> 16 sectors into the disk.
>
>hm ... i now use a partition that starts 16 sectors later and that problem
>is gone. great.
>
>... this solution disturbs me slightly, but i'll get over it :>
>why can't i use the space within a partition for anything i want to ?!

I havn't research this, but this is my best guess:

Back in the good old days, a VAX used the first N sectors for booting
from.  Accordingly, filesystems like UFS were designed to leave
some sectors at the front for the boot code, so the superblock lives
in sector 16 for UFS.  When disklabels were added, they retained
this bit of hackery, rather than fix it, probably in the name of
backwards compatibility.

Sun seems to suffer from the same issue.