Re: Libthr stable enough for testing

From: Lars Eggert <larse_at_ISI.EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 22:20:19 -0700
Mike Makonnen wrote:

> Most major locking work in libthr is finished. I believe it is stable
> enough now that it can be used for most applications[1]. I would
> appreciate it if people would try it out and report any bugs.

I had been running with libc_r symlinked to libthr for a few days with
no problems, and rebuilt some ports during that time.

The machine (SMP) would sometimes freeze solid (no panic). I symlinked
libc_r back to the original library, and from then on, starting
gnomepanel and some other gnome pieces would fail due to errors about
libthr. I couldn't find them in any log file right now, but I think I
remember one was about getpwuid_r not being found. (The ports that
caused problems were gnome 2.3 beta ports from the marcuscom CVS tree.)

 From what I understand, libthr should be a drop-in replacement for
libc_r, so I was surprised to see this, but maybe I misunderstood?

The problem was fixed by building/reinstalling the problematic ports
without libthr symlinked into place.

I'll try to get a dump of the exact error messages when I have access to
  the box again in a few days.

Lars
--
Lars Eggert <larse_at_isi.edu>           USC Information Sciences Institute