Re: acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG MEDIUM ERROR

From: Paul Mather <paul_at_gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:33:10 -0400
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 08:25:37 +0200, S?ren Schmidt<sos_at_DeepCore.dk>
wrote:

> Jun Kuriyama wrote:

> > And, this DVD-R has a large file (3GB), and ls(1) (maybe stat(2))
> > issues an error like this:
>
> Uhm , you cannot have file > 1G on a comliant isofs...
>
> > -----
> > % ls -l /cdrom/0
> > ls: foo.tgz: Value too large to be stored in data type
> > -----
>
> See, it even tells you :)

I was bitten by this bug recently, too.  I made a data DVD on FreeBSD
that included a large (~2.1 GB) file.  Initially, the mkisofs in the
sysutils/cdrtools port flagged a warning about it being too large and
excluded it from the ISO image it created.

I replaced my cdrtools port with the sysutils/cdrtools-devel port.  The
newer mkisofs in that port does not flag the large file as being "too
large" and includes it in the ISO it creates.

Unfortunately, FreeBSD does not like that file when I mount the
resultant data DVD.  I get that same "Value too large to be stored in
data type" error.  Here's the kicker, though: "It works under Windows."
(At least it seemed to on a Windows XP system I had to hand.)

So, I'm guessing the newer mkisofs is more cognisant of the latest
standards/de facto standards than the older one.

BTW, this is on a FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT system last rebuilt early this
September.

Cheers,

Paul.
--