Re: Can't get rid of IPv6

From: Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 20:23:03 +0100
On Monday, 3. January 2005 19:49, Richard Cadwalader wrote:
> I need to get rid of IPv6 altogether. I have 5.3 current.
>
> here is what it's doing:
> browsing the net is imposible (signing into AIM, IRC, mail, anything that
> uses a dns server is also imposible.)
>
> takes forever to resolve by name, resolves in milisecnds and loads the page
> in half a second when using IP

Probably your dns servers (or the ones of your ISP) are misconfigured. Perhaps
there's also a local firewall setup to blame, but it shouldn't really be able
to interfere once you completely disabled ipv6 support in the kernel as you
said you did.

Are you sure you haven't accidentally put ipv6_enable="YES" into /etc/rc.conf?

> Here is what I did to try to fix it:
> checked and edited all the config files (inetd.conf, resolve.conf)
> no change
>
> Looked for the infamous 99kde-env file that is supposed to have some kind
> of ENABLE_IPV6_no="1" line in it, and it's not in 5.3...

You probably mean KDE_NO_IPV6=1. That's an environment variable you can set
before running startkde (or from a script with an .sh extension in $HOME/env
or /usr/local/env), which will cause KDE (and all KDE components) to not
attempt any ipv6 operations.

--
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi_at_freebsd.org