Re: CFT: new ath hal (take 2)

From: JoaoBR <joao_at_matik.com.br>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 19:19:46 -0300
On Monday 08 May 2006 12:48, Sam Leffler wrote:
> If I had intended stable users to try this code I would have:
>
> 1. posted to stable_at_
> 2. provided specific changes for those users (e.g. a patch)
>
> You will note my initial post about a new hal was done to both mailing
> lists.  I did not post this hal to stable because I did not want to deal
> with people complaining that things did not work because they had
> problems back-patching the necessary changes.  I included info in my
> original post for those folks running current that were going to do it
> anyway so they could save some time.
>
> I replied to your post because all it did was set people up for failures
> that would result in mail to me that I don't have time to handle.  Then
> those people would either get frustrated by not getting an answer or
> think there was some problem that wasn't being fixed.
>
> I treat the stable src tree VERY carefully.  I do not inflict pain on
> users running stable.  I do not arbitrarily commit changes that require
> people to manually alter their system or otherwise deal with binary
> incompatibilities.  I treat stable as a production code base and only
> apply changes that are considered well-tested and appropriate to run in
> a production environment.

got your point

but this is free software and anybody can contribute as well as anybody may
decide what works for him or not and use it then with the same spirit. It is
oustanding that you are responsible and well organized with your work  but
this should not cut others freedom to mix it up for themselfs.

Good talk, let's move on and may be you find some time to help me finding out
why this damned ath cards sometimes stop rx/tx under load.

Joćo