Re: Improvements to gvinum and it's future

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 11:07:41 +0200
Quoting Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_fer.hr> (from Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:42:10 +0200):

> Ulf Lilleengen wrote:
>
>> Now, one could ask why I bother doing work on gvinum now, since we
>> have gmirror,
>> gconcat, graid3 and all that. The reason is that gvinum is
>> important as a volume
>> manager. Ivan Voras' work on gvirstor seems very promising as a
>> foundation of a
>> new volume manager, and I've been planning to start working on
>> utilities (fvm,
>> freebsd volume manager) that utilize these new geom classes instead
>>  of having to
>> maintain a separate RAID implementations, but that will take time,
>> and meanwhile
>
> I'm not the one with power-of-decision here, but I think this would be
> very counter-productive. I'd suggest a different approach, of which I
> had plans on actually doing, but got sidetracked - to build a userland
> utility that would use existing GEOM classes in more-or-less opaque way
> to the user (meaning: users don't have to be aware of actual kernel
> classes to do the job).
>
> The idea was to build a curses terminal interface application

May I direct your eyes to our now tool "sade" in -current?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
If truth is beauty, how come no one has their hair done in the library?
		-- Lily Tomlin

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net: PGP ID = B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild _at_ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID = 72077137