Re: Can't remove 'noatime' on mounted filesystem on CURRENT

From: Scot Hetzel <swhetzel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 11:38:25 -0500
On 8/9/07, rodrigc_at_comcast.net <rodrigc_at_comcast.net> wrote:
> > The only way to get rid of noatime is to umount and remount the UFS
> filesystem.
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a patch pending for CURRENT which deals with this issue, but has not
> been
> approved by re_at_ yet.
>
> In the meantime, the workaround is to do:
>
> mount -u -o nonoatime

The work around works on UFS, but fails on ZFS.

I had to unmount the ZFS filesystem before it would allow me to set
noatime with mount again.  But it wouldn't allow me to unset noatime
with mount:

hp010# umount /usr/ports/distfiles
hp010# zfs mount -a
hp010# zfs get atime rootpool/usr/ports/distfiles ; mount | grep distfiles
NAME                          PROPERTY  VALUE                         SOURCE
rootpool/usr/ports/distfiles  atime     on                            default
rootpool/usr/ports/distfiles on /usr/ports/distfiles (zfs, local)
hp010# mount -u -o noatime /usr/ports/distfiles
hp010# zfs get atime rootpool/usr/ports/distfiles ; mount | grep distfiles
NAME                          PROPERTY  VALUE                         SOURCE
rootpool/usr/ports/distfiles  atime     off                           temporary
rootpool/usr/ports/distfiles on /usr/ports/distfiles (zfs, local, noatime)
hp010# mount -u -o nonoatime /usr/ports/distfiles
hp010# zfs get atime rootpool/usr/ports/distfiles ; mount | grep distfiles
NAME                          PROPERTY  VALUE                         SOURCE
rootpool/usr/ports/distfiles  atime     off                           temporary
rootpool/usr/ports/distfiles on /usr/ports/distfiles (zfs, local, noatime)
hp010# mount -u -o atime /usr/ports/distfiles
hp010# zfs get atime rootpool/usr/ports/distfiles ; mount | grep distfiles
NAME                          PROPERTY  VALUE                         SOURCE
rootpool/usr/ports/distfiles  atime     off                           temporary
rootpool/usr/ports/distfiles on /usr/ports/distfiles (zfs, local, noatime)

The only way to reset it is to use zfs inherit or zfs set:

hp010# zfs inherit -r atime rootpool/usr/ports/distfiles
[...]

Scot
--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.