Re: [info] VPD scanning hangs with PV-BT878P+ TV card (Follow-up: i386 kernel just stops booting)

From: Dmitry Pryanishnikov <dmitry_at_atlantis.dp.ua>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 23:08:59 +0200 (EET)
Hello!

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Karol Kwiatkowski wrote:
> following Bruce's advice I'm sending more information about PV-BT878P+
> TV card(PCI). To sum the problem up - if hw.pci.enable_vpd is set to 1
> kernel stops responding in sys/dev/pci/pci.c in pci_read_extcap() (case
> PCIY_VPD) [1].

   I've got an identical problem with the similar hardware. My PCI card
is made by Kworld (Taiwan), that's the labels on the box and card: "V-STREAM",
"Xpert TV-PVR PCI", "VS-TV878RF". It works under Windows quite nicely.
Unfortunately, FreeBSD (both RELENG_6 and CURRENT) fails to detect card's
tuner properly:

bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xf6afe000-0xf6afefff irq 17 at device 14.0 on pci2
bktr0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
bktr0: Card has no configuration EEPROM. Cannot determine card make.
bktr0: MT2032: Companycode=1112 Part=13 Revision=14
bktr0: MT2032 not found or unknown type
bktr0: Pinnacle/Miro TV, Temic NTSC tuner.

This problem is minor and only affects bktr device itself.
However, recent CURRENT just hangs during the boot if I don't either remove
the card or set hw.pci.enable_vpd=0.

> Unfortunately sysutils/lspci doesn't seem to work here (neither on
> RELENG_6 nor CURRENT), I used Knoppix CD for that:

   Utility lspci is provided by the port sysutils/pciutils; it works just
fine for me under RELENG_6.

   I'm attaching the verbose boot messages with the exact point of the hang
marked (see line with *'s), outputs of 'lspci -vv' and 'pciconf -lvc'.
I'm ready to provide any additional info and test possible patches against
the problem. I think that VPD processing should be robust enough to NOT
hang in similar situations.

> Karol Kwiatkowski   <karol.kwiat at gmail dot com>

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator
e-mail:  dmitry_at_atlantis.dp.ua