Re: [freebsd-current] re: fsck_4.2bsd: cannot alloc 4294967292

From: Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET <ml_at_t-b-o-h.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 08:47:46 -0400 (EDT)
> > 	Looks like matches all around. (And yes, I SHA256'd too)
> >
> > 	:-/ So now where?
>
> Did you use a block size argument to "dd"?  If so, what was it?
>
> I'm wondering if the USB stick goes wonky with lots of small (512 byte)
> reads instead of lots of big reads which is what might have happened
> with dd.
>
> There could also be some weird interaction with mixed reads and
> writes, but I have no ideas on how to test that

Hi,

	The blocksize was 1024. Block count was 1024 also.

	Theres probably something in the benchmark ports that could
do that, but I'm not sure it would prove anything. I ended up setting up
another machine with a fresh install of 7.0 also from the same install media.
The only differences between the system I'm having issues with and this
system is because the system having problems is a Soekris I compiled a
special version with SOEKRIS/GEODE in it, and it also has kernel debugging
and firewall.

	I then installed perl and squid 2.X onto this new machine (Squid
needs perl). I put the stick on the system, mounted it, and did a "squid -z"
on the system. It formatted fine. That was the same command I was trying
on the Soekris which ended up causing the kernel panic.
( http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/122380 ) Unfortunately
no one has looked at that yet.

		Tuc