Re: Can't build -current on 6?

From: John Birrell <jb_at_what-creek.com>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 05:13:21 +0000
On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 09:44:23PM -0700, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> Looks like there are some dependency issues with
> some of the cddl stuff.  The following is from trying
> to build yesterday's -current on a system with a 6.3
> kernel and a mostly 6.0 userland.  This worked not very
> long ago.

The reason why it worked not that long ago is that RELENG_7
hadn't deviated much from RELENG_6.

It's hard to make any arbitrary FreeBSD version upgrade to current.
A long time ago we made the decision that we'd support upgrades from
just the previous branch to current.

So, the supported way to upgrade from 6.X is to upgrade to RELENG_7
and from there you should be able to upgrade to current.

--
John Birrell