Re: regression in HDA functionality

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 20:29:36 +1030
On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, fluffles.net wrote:
> > eg selecting the HDMI output is pointless if there is no HDMI link
> > active (can you detect HDMI status?)
>
> As i understand, the problem is that with the new patch, more devices
> are detected which changes the numbering of the pcm devices, thus
> out-of-the-box sound output does not (always) work.
>
> Maybe a solution would be to *always* register pcm0, so it becomes
> the default device. This device is not a real device but rather a
> virtual device like a wrapper/link to one of the other "real" pcm
> devices starting with pcm1. An algoritm could select which device
> pcm0 points to, and be changeable in sysctl, defaulting to "auto" or
> something. The auto setting could even be extended to change default
> device if situation changes, like a new USB Audio device is plugged
> in or the headphones-output is used. It might be hard to correctly
> predict the desired behavior for everyone, but getting default audio
> output (front speakers; stereo) to work out-of-the-box would be
> great.

This is already possible - using the hw.snd.default_unit sysctl (changes
what /dev/mixer et al do).

That is what I was thinking - basically you watch for new sound devices
and decide which one to use (or sound events to say something is
plugged in) and set the sysctl accordingly.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum