Re: named mystery -- error: dumping master file: master/tmp-wTjhUzoix6

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 15:31:07 +0200 (CEST)
Alex Goncharov wrote:
 > [...]
 > After this change, every time I restart `named', the ownership of the
 > `master' directory is changed to `bind' -- and this is what I want:
 > user `bind', I would think, should be allowed to write to this
 > directory.

No, it shouldn't.  It's a security matter.  If there's an
exploitable bug in BIND, an attacker could manipulate your
master zone files.  That's why the bind user should *not*
be able to write to your master directory.

There's no reason that the named process needs write access
to the master directory.  If you use dynamic zone updates,
you should use the "dynamic" directory for those zones,
which is writable by bind.

 >   Who changes the owner of the `master' directory from `bind' to
 >   `root'?

I'm sorry, I don't know.  In fact I have a similar problem
with mtree:  I want /var/mail to be mode 1777 (the reason
is to make dot-locking work), so I changed BSD.var.dist to
include "mode=01777" for the mail directory, but it doesn't
work.  After an installworld the directory is back to 0775.
I have no idea why.  My workaround is to insert a chmod
command in /etc/rc.local.  It's not pretty, but it works.

Best regards
   Oliver

"We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing,
are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much, for so long, with so little,
we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."
        -- Mother Teresa