Re: Coming back to the btxld: No such file or directory installworld error

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 09:54:12 +0400
On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 01:14:59PM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Hi Ruslan,
>     I've run into this particular error twice now in the past couple
> of weeks when building with -j24 on a memory disk and I was wondering
> if there was an missing dependency / race somewhere or something
> (perhaps make obj?):
>
> ===> sys/boot/i386/boot2 (install)
> # ...
> btxld -v -E 0x2000 -f bin -b
> /usr/obj/scratch/freebsd/current/sys/boot/i386/boot2/../btx/btx/btx -l
> boot2.ldr  -o boot2.ld -P 1 boot2.bin
> btxld: No such file or directory
> *** Error code 1

The "install" target isn't supposed to build stuff, only install it.
When you see it trying to build something, this can be indicative of:

- build wasn't run (e.g., after an update);

- a computer's date/time is set to the past (causing wrong date/time
  to be set on output files => causing them to be considered out-of-
  date by make(1)); check with date(1).

- source files have modification times pointing to the future which
  fools make(1) into thinking that it should rebuild some target;
  check with "find /usr/src -mtime -0".

HTH,
--
Ruslan Ermilov