Re: kernel panic with _autoload_ nvidia driver

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 08:12:18 +0200
On Sun, 2013-05-05 at 10:01 +0400, devel_at_stasyan.com wrote:
> Hello !
>
>    This problems appears about 4-6 months ago after updating of -CURRENT host.
> Unable to boot host with nvidia_load="YES" in loader.conf because panic.
> But when nvidia driver loads manually via kldload, everything OK.
> Nvidia driver version is 310.44 at this moment, but problem was and on
> earlier version too.

[...]

This problem is present much longer than 4 - 5 months and it is bugging
me now for a while more frequently since FreeBSD uses CLANG, but it
isn't only related to CLANG since I have had those problems even before
with the legacy gcc (4.2).

The crash occurs only when loading the nvidia.ko at a very early stage,
as it is done with the loader.conf. i do not know exactly at which stage
is crashed in my case, but it is always a gambling.

You can easily circumvent this by loading the nvidia.ko kernel module at
a very late stage via /etc/rc.conf.local with the entry:

kld_list="nvidia"

In my case, it is the only way to have the nvidia module loaded save and
sound and it works for me since a couple of time for now.

Regards,
Oliver