Re: Removing Sendmail

From: Harti Brandt <brandt_at_fokus.fraunhofer.de>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 22:01:58 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Dan Naumov wrote:

DN>On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 14:29:30 -0500 (EST)
DN>John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
DN>
DN>> I find an odd situation here whenever this topic comes up.  One the
DN>> one hand, people are always wanting to split the entire base system
DN>> up into small packages for each little piece of the base.  On the
DN>> other hand, one of FreeBSD's selling points in real-world environments
DN>> is that it doesn't have a bunch of little packages for the base system
DN>> like Linux distros.  Do people really prefer something like having
DN>> rpm's for /bin/ps to having one lump base dist for all of /bin, /sbin,
DN>> etc.?
DN>
DN>It really depends on where you draw the line. Personally, I'd rather
DN>have a very minimal base system that's kept as a "whole" with additional
DN>packages avaible for those who want them. Basically if I was to decide
DN>on such things, I'd throw out CVS, BIND, g77, GDB, OpenSSL, SendMail,
DN>games and crypto out of base and making them avaible through ports. But
DN>that's all IMHO and not very likely to happen to FreeBSD in my lifetime
DN>;)

I hope so. I have two fears with regard to splitting up the system: things
in ports will start to rot. Developers will 'make world' and this will
just compile the basic stuff. People will forget about the packages.
Second, the last time I tried Linux (this was a couple of years ago) I got
immediatly tired of

foo-X.Y needs libbar-A.B
bar-Z.T needs libbar-C.D

and unfortunately you cannot have libbar-A.B and libbar-C.D together.

Splitting up without dependencies between the packages is likely to be
very hard if not impossible.

harti
--
harti brandt,