Re: Removing Sendmail

From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 13:35:23 -0800
Jens Rehsack wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:
> > First, core_at_ is not the appropriate body for that type of request.
> > Both current_at_ and arch_at_ are much better targets.  Second, is
> > NO_SENDMAIL + the postfix port inadequate?
>
> The problem I see with that is, that even a minimalistic base install
> installs things like sendmail, ppp, atm-stuff, g77 and so on.
>
> I really think splitting the base in some sub-parts would it make much
> easier to do NO_SENDMAIL on my own. So I had to remove each not required
> file separately. That's no good solution.

So we are back to:

o	breaking the base system into packages,

o	either pre-installed with package alternatives to
	allow deinstall and reinstall, OR

o	we are into seperately packaging all mail servers,
	picking the current one as default, and hacking the
	heck out of sysinstall to make sure there's a seperate
	choice item to get one installed

...all so that programs that require the ability to send local
mail, many of them base systems components, can function.

That's what I said in the first place.

So we are agreed.

The correct mailing lists for this discussion are config_at_freebsd.org
and install_at_freebsd.org.

I've set followups to config_at_freebsd.org to indicate my own
bias and the total lack of space for more sysinstall code on the
install floppy...

-- Terry