Re: libthr and 1:1 threading.

From: Jeff Roberson <jroberson_at_chesapeake.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 18:01:17 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Daniel Eischen wrote:

> [ CC list trimmed somewhat ]
>
> On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Jeff Roberson wrote:

> > > Jeff, are you _listening_ to us?  We've said multiple times
> > > that the UTS does not enter the kernel when performing thread
> > > switches.  The UTS does NOT use setcontext(), getcontext(),
> > > or swapcontext().
> >
> > I had not seen anyone mention this.
>
> This is only the 3rd or 4th time that I've sent or CC'd you
> with email on the topic, most probably on the KSE list.  I
> know that Julian has sent several also.  You must be filtering
> us :-)

It depends on where things have been CC'd.  I should probably adjust my
filter so that things sent directly to me hit my inbox only.  I have been
quite overloaded with mail lately.  Both from FreeBSD and other
endeavours.  I apologize, it must have been frustrating to tell me so many
times.

> > If this is the case then I suggest
> > the masks and pending sets be kept in user space.  You can install blank
> > handlers for everything so that they are kept pending until the uts has a
> > chance to pick them up in the upcall.
>
> Well, they are kept in user-space.  The kse mailbox has the
> currently running thread's signal mask.  The thread structure
> also has a pending signal set, and there is also a global
> pending signal set for signals pending on the process.
> It's just that the kernel doesn't know about it.
>
> > If you really want a process wide mask allow me to do it.  The single code
> > is quite tricky and it's already been butchered enough.  I think we should
> > discuss this a bit more first though.
>
> Sure, we're discussing signal stuff on the kse list now.
> Are you still monitoring that list?  Perhaps that's
> partially why you haven't seen any of our email?

I'll go look over it soon.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.