Re: ULE nice behavior fixed.

From: Vallo Kallaste <kalts_at_estpak.ee>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 10:24:09 +0300
On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 07:35:59PM -0500, Jeff Roberson
<jroberson_at_chesapeake.net> wrote:

> Do you know of any problem other than idlepri breakage?  I just fixed
> that.  I'm about to get on a plane so I don't have time to benchmark it.
> If you have a chance I'd love to see how the most recent fixes effect your
> buildworld time.
>
> I still have to microoptimize the code a bit to get rid of switch
> statements etc, but it all works.

Interactivity is still worse under ULE. It's quite noticeable and I
tested it on two SMP boxes by running two simple loops in kind of:
for ((;;)); do let $((4+4)); done # this is bash specific

The loops ran under nice +20. Typing in the xterm is jerky,
characters will not show up immediately, but in small "bursts". I
mean that about three characters typed in will show up immediately,
then small pause happens and a burst of characters (which queued up
in the pause) will show up. This is annoying. Starting up xterm
takes more time as well, but I can live with that.
--

Vallo Kallaste