Re: Overall "feel" for the stability of FreeBSD 5

From: Scott Long <scott_long_at_btc.adaptec.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 13:21:34 -0700
Matthew Emmerton wrote:
> [...]

The UDF support in 5.x is for reading only.  DVD data disks do not
require the UDF filesystem and can in fact work just fine with cd9660 or
even UFS.  DVD video disks usually require UDF as dvd players don't
understand anything else, but editing and mastering a dvd video disk is
well beyond the scope of this and I would highly recommend using a Mac.

Burning some of the DVD formats requires special support, while others
can be burned just like a CD.  I thought that 4.x and 5.x were at the
same level for this support, but Soeren would have the definitive
answer.

> I've seen patches to 4-STABLE to add UDF filesystem support.  Perhaps that's
> all you need.

Really?  I thought that the backporting effort had died out.  Can you
provide a link?

Scott