Re: OOOPS - portupgrade/Swapfile/???

From: Matt <matt_at_xtaz.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:09:04 +0000
On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 11:56:37 +0200, CARTER Anthony wrote

> Watching with swapinfo, my 500Mb (256 Mb Ram) swapfile just fills
> up...on stopping portupgrade, swap file is emptied...

I have exactly the same thing, just my machine can cope with it a bit better
as I have 512M physical and 1gig swap. It's currently running a portupgrade
-rai and doing all the recent gnome commits. The first 6 or 7 upgrades of
installed ports went without a hitch but since then at the points where it
says "Building ...." and "Registering installation for ...." I get this:

OK? [yes]
--->  Build of x11/gnomesession started at: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 11:04:52 +0100
--->  Building '/usr/ports/x11/gnomesession'
make: Max recursion level (500) exceeded.: Resource temporarily unavailable

and the physical ram in use just goes up and up and up until it runs out and
then the swap space does the same. After a few minutes (luckily before it runs
out) it stops. All the ram is free'd and the portupgrade carries on.

During this time looking at a "top" it appears it's due to around ten "sort"
processes doing something or other at the time.

This looks more like a portupgrade issue rather than a -CURRENT issue however.

Matt.