Re: Anyone had hangs with Radeon, XF86 4.3.0, and DRI on logout?

From: Sean Welch <welchsm_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 08:48:41 -0600 (GMT)
Eric, this isn't precisely the situation you asked about, but
it may be related.

I've had similar problems to what was noted by MKB but an
older setup.

I'm running 5.0-RELEASE on my I8K with the Mobility Radeon
7500 (M7 chip with 64MB) configured with XFree86-4.2.0_1,1
and DRI compiled from CVS from around Jan 30 of this year.

What I found was that the system ran completely stable as
long as no X was running at all.  I tried:

stock X from cd with 5.0 modules

stock X from cd with CVS DRI modules

stock X from cd with overlayed CVS DRI including modules

stock X from cd with overlayed CVS DRI with 5.0 modules

X from CVS with 5.0 modules

X from CVS with DRI CVS modules

X from CVS with overlayed CVS DRI including modules

X from CVS with overlayed CVS DRI with 5.0 modules

all permutations of above both with and without DRI enabled

all permutations of above under gnome with and without
    screensavers activated and also vanilla twm with no
    screensaver at all

Whatever I did, X would run fine for a while and then at
an unpredictable time it would all just freeze.  It is not
responsive to anything at all (including network access)
except for hard power off by holding down the button for 5
seconds.  I've even seen this freeze on the console when X
is running.

I haven't tried to update (because of my efforts to get the
install to act as a server for ppc work I was hesitant to
change anything) so I can't say anything for the newest
software but I did try the combinations above into February.
I finally gave up on trying things and left X off when
working with 5.0 except for VERY short timeframes (I also
have two installs of 4.7 that work fine on the same disk).

I concluded that the problem lay in the OS somewhere, but I
don't know if this fits in with your observations.

                                                Sean