Re: midi problem, an isa device on a pci card

From: Mathew Kanner <mat_at_cnd.mcgill.ca>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 02:47:49 -0400
	Hello Warner,
	Thanks for your comments, it helps keep me interested as this
is only a for fun hacking project.

On Apr 07, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> You can't create ISA devices that are parented to the pci bus.  You
> just can't.

	I don't understand your comment, isn't the newly created
devices parent the (first) ISA bus?  I scan for the isa class, get
device instances and create from there.

>  You have to make them be full pci devices.
>  Hweover, this
> is relatively easy to do.  You hacks will just not work.

	But it's an ISA device on on a pci card.  I don't know this
for sure but the soundcard docs talk about special hardware to appear
as a legacy device, also, all pci devices on my machine have 4 byte
port ranges while this and other ISA devices have 3.
	I can send and receive on the MPU, albeit, sending is screwy
either too fast or too slow, (too slow by itself, too fast when I
force feed interrupts with timeout(), sigh, I wonder if send interrupts
are broken for mpus in general).
	kldload and unload both the pci(soundcard) and the isa(mpu)
drivers seem to work well.

	--Mat

--
The Brain: We're going to a place where the sun never sets, the size
of your wallet matters, and actors and actresses slave all day!