Re: fontconfig-2.1.92 considered harmful

From: Dan Nelson <dnelson_at_allantgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 10:09:31 -0500
In the last episode (Apr 08), Ruslan Ermilov said:
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 03:53:52PM +0200, CARTER Anthony wrote:
> > Is the problem during xclock execution or xclock compilation?
>
> At runtime.  When I run xclock under truss(1), it shows the paths to
> the fonts, and never stops doing it, eventually eating all memory and
> being killed by kernel.  The same thing happens when I say run
> mozilla (also upgraded from fresh ports).

Maybe it's building the font cache.  Xft takes a insane amount of
memory while it's doing this; mine got up to 200MB.  If all your X
programs start up at once and each decides to rebuild the cache you
could certainly run out of RAM real quick.  Try running fc-cache as
root before starting X, so the cache is already built when the X
clients need it.

For me, 2.1.92 is much better than 2.1 ever was.  After the XFree86
4.3.0 update, I couldn't run any Xft-enabled app at all without a core
dump until I upgraded to 2.1.92.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson_at_allantgroup.com