Re: NIS exhausts system resources

From: Dan Nelson <dnelson_at_allantgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 12:42:18 -0500
In the last episode (Apr 08), Terry Lambert said:
> Dan Pelleg wrote:
> > When does this happen, you ask? I triggered it this morning by
> > booting the machine when the NIS server was down. I had also seen
> > it in the past when configuring NIS, and it happened as soon as I
> > set the domainname.  Any ideas? I can provide packet captures on
> > request, however note the failure where the server is down.
>
> Historical behaviour when the NIS server is down has been for the
> client machines to hang until the NIS server is back up.

I've never seen that here.  I have three NIS servers though, so there
has never been a case when all NIS resources were unavailable.  Usually
what I see in the logs are:

Mar 12 13:52:13 ypbind[113]: NIS server [10.0.0.11] for domain not responding
Mar 12 13:52:13 ypbind[113]: NIS server [10.0.0.89] for domain OK

Was it ypbind that was hogging all the file descriptors, or what, I
wonder?

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson_at_allantgroup.com