Re: variable mp_ncpu

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_elischer.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 00:33:23 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Would it be possible to have the sysclt hw.ncpu
> always available, even in a UP kernel?

I meant "to a kernel routine"

> it is currently only valid in an SMP kernel
> whichmeans that userland code that needs to know this has to do:

ok It's too late at night.. hw.ncpu does exist in UP
what I really meant to say is:
could there always be the kernel variable mp_ncpus?

for example the following code is in the kernel:
 605         /* Too bad, why hasn't kernel always a cpu counter !? */
 606 #ifdef SMP
 607         ncpus = mp_ncpus;
 608 #else
 609         ncpus = 1;
 610 #endif

ok, so maybe it would need to be renamed, but at teh moment I need to
have 2 kernel modules, one for SMP and one for UP to be able to cope
with this if it needs to know how many cpus there are..
(or am I missing something still)