Re: Problem umount'ing msdosfs type filesystems

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 22:49:59 +0200
On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 18:08:18 -0500
Sean Kelly <smkelly_at_zombie.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 04:26:16PM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> > has some else besides me problems with a "umount /mnt" where /mnt is the
> > mountpoint of a msdosfs? -current as of 2003-04-02.
> >
> > (254) netchild_at_ttyp2 % umount -f /mnt
> > umount: unmount of /mnt failed: Operation not permitted
>
> Er.. I don't suppose the user "netchild" has a uid of 0? Try it as root.

Yes, off course... I really tried it as root, this was just to cut &
paste the error message... I needed to transfer to a harddisk which was
connected via USB, and there I first mounted the wrong partition, tried
to umount it, it failed and then I just mounted the right partition over
the already mounted one. Transfered some files, tried again to umount
the partitions, failed again (of course) and then just pulled the USB
plug because the disk was needed somewhere else.

As I don't have user-mount enabled, and I didn't changed the terminal
window between the first umount and the following mount, I did it
definitively as root.

I think the real error was device busy or something like this... you
know, the error you get when something still accesses data on the
partition you try to umount.

Perhaps rev 1.69 of src/sys/fs/msdosfs/msdosfs_denode.c fixes this (I
don't think so, alt least the commit message dosn't suggests something
like this), I will try it as soon as the drive is available again.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
            The dark ages were caused by the Y1K problem.

http://www.Leidinger.net                       Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net