Re: connect(2) behavior with unreacheable hosts

From: Barney Wolff <barney_at_pit.databus.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 13:05:31 -0400
On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 09:32:56AM +0100, David Malone wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 03:45:54PM -0400, BelletJr_at_aol.com wrote:
> > Why does not connect(2) return any error when trying to connect to a host
> > unreachable because of an infinite loop in the routes? No time-out occurs and
> > the value 0 is returned by connect(2).
> > My test was done with TCP/IPv4.
>
> I've tried connecting to a host which is unreachable in both 4.X
> and 5.X and in both cases connect returns an error with "Operation
> timed out". I wonder if you could post your source code and/or a
> tcpdump of what's actually sent and recieved over the network while
> this is happening?

The problem seems to be in the handling of the ICMP unreach-time-exceeded.
See the PR I filed:
I posted to -net because the problem is common to both stable and current.
--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.