Re: Ping oddity

From: Fred Souza <fred_at_storming.org>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 11:59:50 -0300
> Whenever something else is using the link (fetch, Mozilla etc.)
> When nothing else is touching the network, ping is fine:
> 64 bytes from 216.239.51.99: icmp_seq=120 ttl=51 time=650.374 ms
>
> Any idea what could be causing this?

  I noticed the same behavior here, but didn't link it to other
  processes using the network alone. In fact, I'm trying to reproduce
  it right now, but Phoenix, fetch, fetchmail and SMB shares do not
  seem to interfere with ping. It *does* happen, though, if I ping
  another PPP connection and other processes use the network, and yet it
  does not occur everytime.

  I also notice that the few packets that get replied while that strange
  behavior takes place, have much higher timestamps than the other ones
  (i.e, I'm ping'ing a connection that's got a RTT of 300ms to me; when
  I make other processes to use the network, in the middle of those
  erroneous packets I see a few replies of time = 1500+).

  Weird to see that if at the same time I ping the very same host from
  another box on my network, using the same link, the timestamps don't
  jump like this.

  FreeBSD torment.storming.org 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0: Sat
  Apr 12 01:50:45 BRT 2003
  nazguul_at_torment.storming.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/torment  i386

  I'm using ipfw too, and my connection is handled by userland PPP +
  netgraph.

  Fred

--
"The basic notion underlying USENET is the flame."
		-- Chuq Von Rospach