GBDE + md() + ccd() = corruption?

From: matt <matt_at_grogged.dyndns.org>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 18:09:59 -0500 (CDT)
Quick question (please CC me, as I'm not on the list yet) -

I have 4x files setup through the md device (md1, md2, md3, mde4), each of
which I have init'd and attached gbde to (successfully), for md1.bde,
md2.bde, etc...  I've used ccdconfig to make these 4 encrypted devices
a concatenated disk (ccd0c), where upon I newfs'd /dev/ccd0c and
successfully mounted it.

And now the question, To verify the data I've placed on this rather
unusual setup, I ran md5 on everything I stuck on it.  Some files seem to
work fine(about half), and I get consistent output from the md5 utility,
the other half of the files on the device are very inconsistent.  I can
run md5 on the same file 5 times in a row and get 5 different output
strings.  To double check things I ran the inconsistent files against
known good copies sitting on a plain old ufs partition (with diff), and it
turns out the files *are* different.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here?  Is some portion of this setup
corrupting the data?

Also, when writing to the gbde encrypted filesystem I sporadically get
messages like:

"ENOMEM 0xc26ced80 on 0xc2648b80(md1.bde)"

These messages don't pop up consistently, the hex addresses are always
different, and "md1.bde" can often be replaced with any of the other
md*.bde devices setup in the config I described.  It doesn't seem to
matter if I mount the filesystem (ccd0c) read-only, the md5sums are
still inconsistent. I've experienced the same problem in a clean install
of 5.0-R as well as -current as of a couple days ago.  I've replicated
this problem on more than one machine with known-to-be-good disks.

Comments?  Suggestions?

Thanks everyone,

- Matt