Re: Workaround for some broken BIOSes that forgot to enable ATA channels [patch]

From: Maxim Sobolev <sobomax_at_portaone.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:03:27 +0300
On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 01:50:18PM +0200, Soeren Schmidt wrote:
> It seems Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> [ Charset KOI8-R unsupported, converting... ]
> > Hi,
> >
> > Attached please find a patch, which workaround a bug found in
> > some BIOSes, which forget to enable ATA channels properly.
> > This results in ATA driver not attaching properly and inability
> > to use disk devices.
>
> Hmm, what BIOS's do you see this on ? if that bit isn't set *alot*
> of other things probably arent as well, which could cause real
> problems if we try this.

This is BIOS on my new vprMatrix 175B4 notebook (P4M-1.7GHz).
Along with ATA, it "forgets" to enable ports on network card
(fxp driver), I've already committed patch for it. Funny thing
is that the problem doesn't exists on 4.7 - both ata and fxp
work here OOB. This might be somehow related to ACPI, but
forcefully disabling it in 5-CURRENT doesn't help.

Anyway, this option is "off" by default, so that there should be
no problems for average Joe luser, while I have not noticed any
problems with this patch for far - both UDMA100 disk works
perfectly so as CD-RW/DVD drive.

-Maxim