Re: Fwd: passwd bug?

From: David Taylor <davidt_at_yadt.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 01:47:23 +0100
On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> Crist J. Clark wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 06:33:45PM +0200, Dusan Kozic wrote:
>>
>>> OK, finnaly I know where the problem is.:)
>>>
>>> This is one FreeBSD 5 machine and I have shell access to it.
>>> I can change my password to empty, but then if I want to change this
>>> empty password, program passwd asks me for an Old password. And if I
>>> press only on Enter button, program passwd writes on the screen sorry.
>>> But all services such as ssh, telnet and ftp works fine with empty
>>> password, so mine password is really empty.
>>>
>>> Thanks and please fix this!!!
>>

>> Can't reproduce. Can you show us the /etc/password and
>> /etc/master.passwd entries for the affected user? What's the date on
>> the sources this system was built from?
>
> Actually, I'd be more interested in /etc/pam.d/passwd.

I'm seeing the same effect on a system built from sources updated on
21 March 2003.  Running passwd, and changing my password to a blank one
works fine.  Logging in works almost fine (it displays 'Password:' then
'Password [echo on]:' and accepts the blank password the second time), but
trying to change a blank password causes pam_chauthtok to fail with
'permission denied'.

My /etc/pam.d/passwd file consists of one non comment line:

password	required	pam_unix.so	no_warn try_first_pass

and is identical to /usr/src/etc/pam.d/passwd.

--
David Taylor
davidt_at_yadt.co.uk