Re: Deadlocks running rsync on SMP machine

From: Eric W. Bates <ericx_at_vineyard.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:59:36 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kris Kennaway" <kris_at_obsecurity.org>
To: <current_at_FreeBSD.org>; <net_at_FreeBSD.org>; <hsu_at_FreeBSD.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 13, 2003 6:08 PM
Subject: Deadlocks running rsync on SMP machine

I may be wrong; but I don't believe this problem is new.  We have been
living with it for some few years now thru several versions of the rsync
port and FreeBSD itself. The problem persists with both SMP and single chip
machines..

Our work around is simply to segment the transfer into separate rsync
processes which we run sequentially.  We have never tried to determine what
the magic number of files is that causes it to freeze up.  e.g.: Syncing
/usr/local usually fails, but doing /usr/local/[whatever] hasn't been a
problem.

--ericx