VAIO problems still

From: Pete Carah <pete_at_ns.altadena.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:33:13 -0700 (PDT)
I think the remaining problems with the R505ES are fairly simple.

The hang on boot when pccbb is configured appears to be that the
device is not associated with the pci handle correctly; the irq is
being handled right.  Evidence for this is that all reads (I put
some extra debug prints in, just for this) come in as 00000000,
and a write to the event address does NOT reset the pending interrupt.
The handle (also printed in case) does match the memory address
that appears in boot -v dmesg (which I can't give unfortunately since
I don't have another computer around with which to grab a serial
console output).  This makes me think that the pci bridges aren't getting
config'd right (or the device interface isn't?).  The problem with
nearly all devices ending up on irq 9 should be fairly easy to fix in
the asl, but I don't know enough about asl/aml to interpret what I
see.  I presume that the fix for the apparent wrong memory-map
address for the pccbb devices is probably fairly easy in the asl/aml
too, but don't know for sure.

Basic chipset is ich3; pccbb is one Ricoh (card slot) and one
TI (embedded wireless).  Both pccbb behave the same so I think the
problem is more generic.

ASL is on http://pelican.altadena.net/~pete/r505es.asl

(dumped a few months ago; I don't think anything has changed.)
This one has a fairly cryptic CKOS method; it works from 2-char
substrings of the OS string :-)

(char 15-16 of the OS string == "te" and length of the OS string == 17 returns 2
 length of the OS string not less than 20 and
 (char 18-19 of the OS string == "NT" returns 0
  char 18-19 of the OS string == "E:" returns 1
  char 18-19 of the OS string == "te" returns 3
  else returns "Ones")
 else returns "Ones" (I presume is FFFFFFFF).

CKNT returns 0 on (CKOS == 1 or 2); else 1

So, we get Ones here unless _OS_ gets faked...

And, of course, everything works in XP home (which came with the
system).  There was a driver patch for sound, and a bios patch for usb
that were needed to deal with XP sp1 - this may be a hint...
(both are in this system, and from the file date, are also in the
asl dump on pelican.)
This system comes from Sony with one of 3 OS choices -
XP home, XP pro, or win2k.

Almost everyone with a vaio has some problem with resource allocation;
I suspect that the AML writers were lazy...  I have a bigger
supermicro mb that handles everything under acpi just fine.

I can't find a method/device for the second pccbb or the wireless by
any name I can figure out, for example.  There is CRD0 but no CRD1 and
nothing that starts with W except for a couple of variables.

-- Pete