Re: HEADS UP: new NSS

From: Dan Nelson <dnelson_at_allantgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:12:05 -0500
In the last episode (Apr 17), Scott Long said:
> John Polstra wrote:
> >In article <20030418014500.B94094_at_iclub.nsu.ru>, Max Khon  <fjoe_at_iclub.nsu.ru> wrote:
> > > we need either allow dlopen(3) to be used in statically linked
> > > programs or move to dynamically linked /.

Or use an nscd like Solaris?

> > Moving to a fully dynamically linked system sounds easier to me.
> > But in the past there has been strong opposition to the idea every
> > time it has been proposed.
>
> Right, because everyone is deathly afraid of /usr/lib not being
> available and nothing working, or ld.so getting corrupt and nothing
> working, or beagles falling from the sky and nothing working. FreeBSD
> is one of the few Unix-like OS's left that isn't fully dynamically
> linked.
>
> If switching to a fully dynamically linked system is desired before
> 6.0 then it needs to happen before 5.2.  I'm not opposed to this.

I'm more worried about the performance hit than foot-shooting (schg is
protection enough I think, and I like beagles).

I believe dynamically-linked programs still are ~20% slower than static
ones, and for small programs like sed, awk, expr, sh, basename, tr, and
the like, the larger (constant) startup time becomes significant also.

Anyone want to benchmark a medium-sized portbuild with static vs
dynamic /bin and /sbin?

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson_at_allantgroup.com