Re: Going Dynamic (Was: HEADS UP: new NSS)

From: David Taylor <davidt_at_yadt.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 23:16:22 +0100
On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>  2) Build a separate set of statically-linked
>     binaries for emergency use.  I've already
>     done this, and the patches are currently
>     being reviewed.  They add a /rescue directory
>     which uses crunchgen to pack most of /bin, /sbin,
>     and select other pieces into a nice small package.
>     Gauranteed to work even if you hose ld.so.
>
>     Note that the standard /bin and /sbin will continue
>     to be used during boot and normal system operation.
>     Since they're dynamically linked, dlopen() works
>     and NSS, PAM, etc, can be used.  If things

Hmm, but if /sbin/mount_ufs (say) is dynamically linked, and the libraries
are still in /usr, how do you mount /usr?

>     go awry, then the /rescue directory will have
>     fully static versions of standard utils that can
>     be used to repair the system.  The /rescue utils
>     won't be able to fully use NSS or PAM, of course,
>     but if you're booting single user to repair a hosed
>     /usr partition, you probably don't really need NSS. ;-)

I think I could just about survive without NSS :)

> I have Luke's full outline for transitioning to
> a dynamic system around here somewhere....
>

> >If switching to a fully dynamically linked system is desired before
> >6.0 then it needs to happen before 5.2.  I'm not opposed to this.
>

> As I said, I've already done a chunk of work
> for this.  If someone would like to help finish...

If there's a list of tasks that need to be done, I'd be willing to see
what I can do (although I'm going back to uni next week)...

--
David Taylor
davidt_at_yadt.co.uk