Re: HEADS UP: new NSS

From: Jacques A. Vidrine <nectar_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 14:38:28 -0500
On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 12:18:47PM -0700, Shizuka Kudo wrote:
> Hi Jacques,
>
> Thanks for your quick fix. I just tried and it works now. The
> only question I have is that the same error occurs if I deleted
> /etc/nsswitch.conf.  Is it the intended behaviour?
>
> %ls -al /etc/nsswitch.conf
> ls: /etc/nsswitch.conf: No such file or directory
> %passwd
> passwd: can't change little green men's passwords (0x3df)

Depends.  Are you using `compat' mode?

When there is no /etc/nsswitch.conf, then the defaults are as
listed in nsswitch.conf(5), in particular:

   passwd: compat
   passwd_compat: nis

But, I would have expected that you would have either gotten
`passwd: who are you?', or it would have succeeded (if you have
a `+' entry in passwd(5)).

What is your configuration? i.e. do you have a `+' entry, or not?
do you have a template entry?  do you have the user in both passwd(5)
and NIS, or only one or the other?

Cheers,
--
Jacques A. Vidrine <nectar_at_celabo.org>          http://www.celabo.org/
NTT/Verio SME          .     FreeBSD UNIX     .       Heimdal Kerberos