Re: HEADS UP: UFS2 now the default creation type on 5.0-CURRENT

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 11:31:21 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, Manfred Antar wrote:

> At 11:02 AM 4/20/2003 -0400, Robert Watson wrote:
>
> >As of today, newfs(8) and sysinstall(8) will create UFS2 file systems by
> >default, unless explicitly specified.  Users wanting to create UFS1 file
> >systems for whatever reason (interoperability with earlier versions, etc)
> >should be sure to employ the -O1 flag to newfs(8), or hit '1' in the label
> >editor in sysinstall(8) to select UFS1.
>
> Does the /boot/loader now understand UFS2 on the root filesystem (i386)
> I've get /var and /usr on UFS2 file systems. But a few months ago the
> bootblocks were not working for i386

Yes.  Or at least, it does on my notebook and three or four servers.
There were initially some size glitches because UFS2 required additional
64-bit operations in the boot record, and that exceeded the space at the
front of the file system, but I believe that has now been resolved.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories