Re: HEADS UP: UFS2 now the default creation type on 5.0-CURRENT

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 15:47:53 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, David Schultz wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 20, 2003, David O'Brien wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 11:31:21AM -0400, Robert Watson wrote:
> > > There were initially some size glitches because UFS2 required additional
> > > 64-bit operations in the boot record, and that exceeded the space at the
> > > front of the file system, but I believe that has now been resolved.
> >
> > s/resolved/hacked around/
> [...]
> > revision 1.10
> > date: 2003-02-24 04:57:01;  author: mckusick;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -0
> > Revert to old (broken for over 1.5Tb filesystems) version of cgbase
> > so that boot loader once again will fit.
>
> It might be worth noting the size limit on the root filesystem somewhere
> for the unfortunate person who decides not to partition.

True.  I wonder if we should add some mechanical support for that in
sysinstall's label editor to detect and warn in that case.  We used to (I
believe) have similar warnings about the root file system being <1024
cylinders, etc, at various points.  Also, a note in the release notes
wouldn't hurt.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories