Re: HEADS UP: UFS2 now the default creation type on 5.0-CURRENT

From: Narvi <narvi_at_haldjas.folklore.ee>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 02:44:16 +0300 (EEST)
On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, David Schultz wrote:

> > > s/resolved/hacked around/
> > [...]
> > > revision 1.10
> > > date: 2003-02-24 04:57:01;  author: mckusick;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -0
> > > Revert to old (broken for over 1.5Tb filesystems) version of cgbase
> > > so that boot loader once again will fit.
> >
> > It might be worth noting the size limit on the root filesystem somewhere
> > for the unfortunate person who decides not to partition.
>
> Clarification question: is it only the size of the root file system that
> is limited, or is it also the location of the root file system on the
> disk?  I.e., is a 256MB file root file system located 1.7TB into the array
> also going to not work?  I was going to commit this to the partitioning
> documentation in sysinstall:
>
>   WARNING: FreeBSD on i386 is currently unable to boot from file
>   systems larger than 1.5TB, so the root file system must exist
>   entirely below the 1.5TB mark.
>
> But it ocurred to me that I was being unclear as to whether it was the
> size or the location and size that mattered.  Could you make the language
> above right? :-)

I believe it should read:

	WARNING: FreeBSD on i386 currently has a root partition size
	restriction of 1.5TB.

whetever any bios presently actually supports disks larger than 1TB - and
hence booting from above 1TB areas - is another question. Some time ago
the answer was no, but it might have changed.