Re: Laptop update...

From: Cliff L. Biffle <cbiffle_at_safety.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 18:07:29 -0700
On Sunday 20 April 2003 04:09 pm, Robert Watson wrote:
> When you wake the box up again, try switching to another virtual console
> and back again, and/or changing the display resolution using
> ctrl-alt-[keypad + or -].  I've noticed similar things with my Dell
> notebook, and seem to recall a discussion of this issue previously.
> Basically, when things wake up, some piece of something forgets to power
> the backlight back on again.

I've had similar issues on my Toshiba laptop.  There are patches to XFree
floating around that resolve this, at least on my machine; basically, XFree
does not do a full reinit of the display on resume, by default.  So, in my
case, I have no mouse cursor; in your case, you have no backlight, and so
forth.  I've been digging for the patches and can't find 'em, but you may
have more luck than I.

'Course, now that I've upgraded to -current on the laptop, I can't even
suspend the thing in X -- it hangs.  Works fine from a console vt, though,
which is my temporary solution.

-Cliff L. Biffle