Re: RE: Broken memory management on system with no swap

From: David Schultz <das_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 06:56:55 -0700
On Tue, Apr 22, 2003, Lucky Green wrote:
> Matthew Dillon wrote:
> >     I can't help you with gbde.  Looking at the mail
> archives[...Thanks, I missed that post]
>
> What about the "swap_pager_getswapspace: failed" error that still shows
> up in the logs? Can it be safely ignored?

Yes, you can ignore those messages.  Note that although the VM
system behaves more reasonably with Matt's patches, bad things can
happen when you're out of both memory and swap.  GEOM happens to
be fairly graceful about it; it waits and retries.  But at the
same time, you might be losing network packets, for instance.

I'm not sure what exactly is causing your system to run out of
memory, though.  I can copy multi-gigabyte files across
unencrypted partitions on a machine with no swap without issue.
Perhaps someone else has some ideas...