Problems running Quake 3 on -CURRENT / X 4.3.0

From: Arjan van Leeuwen <avleeuwen_at_piwebs.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 22:50:01 +0200
Hi,

Quake 3 is behaving strange when running it from -CURRENT with XFree86 4.3.0
on my Radeon (R100). Other people are experiencing the same problems with a
Radeon 7500.

Whenever I'm running the game, it seems like the mouse is lagging behind in
movement. For every mouse movement I make, I have to wait about a second for
it to be performed. The movement itself is smooth. This happens both in the
menus and in the game. Also, the animations look like they are skipping
pieces once every 5 seconds. It looks like some kind of a timing problem.

I'm running Quake 3 point release 1.32b, FreeBSD-CURRENT from yesterday and
the newest X and linux_dri ports. I tried reinstalling Quake 3 (to have a
fresh point release installation, as 1.32b is supposed to correct some mouse
problems), but that didn't help.

I'm not sure this is specifically a -CURRENT problem or an X 4.3.0 problem as
I can't test on a -STABLE system right now.

Are other people (with a Radeon R100 or Radeon 7500) experiencing the same
problems? Is there an easy way to fix this? I'd be happy to supply any more
details if needed.

Thanks,

Arjan