Re: i386/loader compiled with NOFORTH

From: Daniel C. Sobral <dcs_at_tcoip.com.br>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 17:09:50 -0300
Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 02:40:55PM -0300, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
>
>>Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>>
>>>On 5.x, loader(8) compiled with -DNOFORTH, results in
>>>a system without a console.  This does not affect the
>>>RELENG_4.
>>>
>>>Can someone who knows this code please look into it?
>>
>>Curious, since boot disks are compiled without Forth.
>>

> You sure they are?  I somehow fail to see the code that
> rebuilds sys/boot during "make release" with -DNOFORTH.

Yes. FICL is unnecessary for the simple task of booting the installation
kernel and takes quite a bit of space.

Notes that this is _only_ for the _install_ floppy, and it is custom
built for it.

>>Maybe it's lack of acpi?
>>

> No, acpi(4) was loaded.  I experimented with bzip(2)
> support in loader(8), and for this I needed the stripped
> loader, because memory allocation really sucks in
> i386 loader(8).  Am I right it's limited to real mode's
> 1M?

I'm not sure what the exact memory constrains are, particularly since
they changed somewhat when such issues were of interest to me. jhb can
answer this, I think.

--
Daniel C. Sobral                   (8-DCS)
Gerencia de Operacoes

Outros:
	dcs_at_newsguy.com
	dcs_at_freebsd.org
	capo_at_notorious.bsdconspiracy.net

Matter cannot be created or destroyed, nor can it be returned without a
receipt.