Re: Linux compat broken??

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 23:20:37 -0400
At 9:09 PM +0200 4/24/03, Joris Vandalon wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>sinds I updated my kernel and world yesterday i seem to have
>troubles with my linux browsers  (linux-netscape7 and
>linux-phoenix), they freeze for no apperent reason.
>
>are there more people experiencing this problems?

For what it's worth, I tried to install java on my freebsd-current
system today.  (my first attempt to install it in a few years).
For that, I first have to install the linux-sun-jdk, which uses
linux-compat and linux_base-7.

Those initial steps for installing went OK, but my attempts to
install jdk14 (freebsd-native java) do hang.  It seems that they
hang when executing the command:
   /usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.4.1/bin/java -version

On my system (freebsd-current from Tuesday), that prints out some
version-info and then hangs.  My friends who have a working-java
tell me that for them it prints out the version-info and then
returns to a shell prompt.

I also notice that if I 'ktrace' the above command, it will often
(but not always) work right for me, too.

At this point I've spent about four hours futzing around trying
to understand the problem, and that is about all the time I have
for it today.  I am not sure if my problem is related to what
you're seeing, but I'll probably rebuild my -current system and
all my ports before trying to install java again, just because I
know someone will yell at me for being lazy if I don't do that.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org