Re: groups wrong on NIS clients

From: Glenn Johnson <gjohnson_at_srrc.ars.usda.gov>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:55:30 -0500
On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 09:08:29PM -0500, Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 05:19:15PM -0500, Glenn Johnson wrote:
>
> > > How are you logging in?
> >
> > I was using ssh.  After reading your message, I went down the hall
> > and logged in via the console.  The groups are set correctly when
> > logging in via the console.
>
> > > Whatever login process you are using is responsible for setting
> > > your group list correctly.  It has not done so.
> >
> > As a note, the groups were set correctly via ssh before I updated to
> > the latest sources today.  My previous -current was from April 15,
> > 2003.
>
> Do you have UsePrivilegeSeperation turned on?  (Not that this should
> make a difference ... `works here'.)  Do you have anything different
> from the default configuration?
>
> The only thing I can think of that might give you different results
> when logging in via the console versus via sshd is if the latter
> cannot contact the NIS server for some reason.  Do you see (e.g. with
> tcpdump) any NIS queries when you attempt to login via ssh?
>
> If you want to dig deeper, you should arrange for sshd to spit out the
> group list.

I applied your patch and here are the results.

An ssh connection to the master node with a complete group list:

debug1: XXX group[0]=1001,glenn
debug1: XXX group[1]=1001,glenn
debug1: XXX group[2]=0,wheel
debug1: XXX group[3]=2,kmem
debug1: XXX group[4]=5,operator
debug1: XXX group[5]=1000,cluster

An ssh connection to a backend node with an NIS served group list:

debug1: XXX group[0]=1001,glenn
debug1: XXX group[1]=1001,glenn

After I ssh into the NIS client node I ran ypcat group and it shows the
correct information for the groups.

--
Glenn Johnson
USDA, ARS, SRRC			 Phone: (504) 286-4252