Re: i386/loader compiled with NOFORTH

From: Matthew D. Fuller <fullermd_at_over-yonder.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 18:20:06 -0500
On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 03:17:56PM -0700 I heard the voice of
Don Lewis, and lo! it spake thus:

> > Perhaps it's time to demote the boot floppies
> > to second-class status.  People who can't boot
> > from CD-ROM don't need driver support for the
> > newest, fanciest hardware in the installation
> > kernel.
>
> That's true.

Er, I wouldn't go that far.

For one thing, floppies are re-usable; even out at J. Random Client-Site,
I can usually find a couple floppies to slap boot images onto
temporarily; a CD is permanent.  It's bigger.  And a lot of places and
people (including, say, _me_) don't have and never have had a CD burner.

The ability to load modules from additional floppies gives a lot of
flexibility in what can be trimmed from the kernel and still be usable
during the install.  I don't think it's time to consider axing 1.44
meggers yet...

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd_at_over-yonder.net