vchans seem to affect /dev/dsp* availability

From: Cliff L. Biffle <cbiffle_at_safety.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 17:30:53 -0700
When I have vchans enabled, every few attempts at opening /dev/dsp* result in
'Operation not supported by device.'  Also, while they're enabled, some
programs (most reproduceably artsd) peg my CPU after outputting sound data in
certain situations.

Disabling vchans fixes the problem.  The problem's a little ephemeral, so I'm
still collecting hard data, but it seems I have to go all the way to properly
disable them, e.g.
kldload snd_pcm
sysctl hw.snd.maxautovchans=0
kldload snd_<my card>

Simply turning them off after the drivers have been loaded does not seem
sufficient.

I've been seeing this on my laptop since I -currentified it, which was early
this month.  I dismissed it as CS4281-specific until it began happening on my
desktop with a recent build, on both a VIA VT8235-style AC97 chip -and- my
SBLive.

Thoughts?  I'm going to try reverting a few of the source files to see if it
resolves itself, but pointers from those involved would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

-Cliff L. Biffle