Re: Somethings still up with new NSS?

From: NAKAJI Hiroyuki <nakaji_at_tutrp.tut.ac.jp>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 19:09:02 +0900

> I had this happen to me. In my case, I changed my shell, logged out, then
> tried to log back in again. The console showed that sshd couldn't find my
> account, and I don't think it couldn find the privsep account either. I could
> not log in as root at the console either. I fixed the problem by booting
> single-user and re-running pwd_mkdb. The entries in master.passwd and passwd
> were correct, but I think that for some reason they weren't being read
> correctly from the database.

In my case, under following situation, no pop3 request is available: the
error is, "Password supplied for \"user\" is incorrect."

o the system itself is NIS master server
o there are some users on this host
o POP3 server of Qpopper is running on this host
o /etc/nsswitch.conf of this host has following three lines
  hosts: files dns
  passwd: files
  group: files

After I changed nsswitch.conf to

hosts: files dns
passwd:	files nis
group:	files nis

the problem went away.

If "nis" is removed from passwd line in nsswitch.conf, for example,
qpopauth cannot find user pop.

# qpopauth -list ALL
qpopauth: "pop": userid unknown

When "nis" is added again, no problem.