Re: Somethings still up with new NSS?

From: Jacques A. Vidrine <nectar_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 05:55:21 -0500

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 07:02:09PM +1000, Tim Robbins wrote:
> I had this happen to me. In my case, I changed my shell, logged out, then
> tried to log back in again. The console showed that sshd couldn't find my
> account, and I don't think it couldn find the privsep account either. I could
> not log in as root at the console either. I fixed the problem by booting
> single-user and re-running pwd_mkdb. The entries in master.passwd and passwd
> were correct, but I think that for some reason they weren't being read
> correctly from the database.

I thought the relative dearth of critical bug reports so far was too
good to be true :-)

Sounds like I have introduced a bug into `pwd_mkdb -u', which is the
common denominator in your reports.  `passwd', `chsh', `pw' all use
`pwd_mkdb -u', whereas vipw uses plain `pwd_mkdb'.

I will look at it closely today!

Meanwhile, if this happens to you, just run `vipw' or `pwd_mkdb' to
rebuild your database.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine   . NTT/Verio SME      . FreeBSD UNIX       . Heimdal
nectar_at_celabo.org . jvidrine_at_verio.net . nectar_at_freebsd.org . nectar_at_kth.se